As POPSUGAR editors, we independently select and write about things we love and think you will like too. If you purchase a product we have recommended, we may receive affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
Our deepest apologies for your 2022 plans, dear readers, because you are about to stay reserved: The eighth annual POPSUGAR Reading Challenge has been officially dropped!
Tick these 50 book challenges throughout the year to broaden your reading horizons and shake things up in 2022 by uncovering new sub-genres (“A Social Horror Book”); authors (“A Book by a Pacific Islander Author”); and sub-radar titles based on a specific topic (“A Book on Gender Identity”), setting (“A book set in the 1980s”) or character (“A book with a character on the spectrum”). There are also calls for book covers and titles (“A book with a tiger on the cover or ‘tiger’ in the title” is a hint that 2022 is the Tiger’s year in the Chinese zodiac sign), awards (“An Anisfield- Winner of Wolf Book Award “), and scavenger hunt (” A book with a recipe in it “).
If it feels scary to read 50 books in a single year, we’ve divided the list into 40 standard book challenge prompts and 10 “advanced” instructions for the avid readers out there (not that 40 books is something to spot!). As an ode to 2022, this year’s advanced section is the theme around twins, doubles and couples. For example, there is “A book with a palindromic title” (reads the same thing back and forth), “A book about someone who leads a double life” and “Two books that take place in twin cities, also called ‘sister cities’”, which eg. San Diego and Vancouver.
Whether it’s your first time taking the challenge or you’ve been with us since the beginning, the goal of the POPSUGAR Reading Challenge is just to have fun, diversify your reading and achieve the goals you’ve set yourself. There are no “rules”!
So ready to get started?
- Download our printable list here, check the books as you go, and put the practical graphics in front for reference.
- Join the POPSUGAR Book Club on Facebook, a well-read community of enthusiastic POPSUGAR editors and fellow readers from around the world. Swap book choices for the challenge, take your hand out when you encounter a prompt, share ideas for bullet journaling, or just chat about the latest page turner you are obsessed with.
- If you are looking for an easy way to digitally track and rate the books you have read for the challenge, we suggest that you also join this Goodreads group of readers who participate in the POPSUGAR Reading Challenge each year.
- Follow POPSUGAR Books on Twitter and share your progress on social media with the hashtag #popsugarreadingchallenge.
Now continue reading for the POPSUGAR Reading Challenge 2022, plus book suggestions for what to read for all the instructions!
– Additional reporting by Kalyn Womack
window.fbAsyncInit = function()
appId : ‘175338224756’,
status : true, // check login status
xfbml : true, // parse XFBML
version : ‘v8.0’
// Load the SDK Asynchronously
var id = ‘facebook-jssdk’; if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
if (typeof scriptsList !== “undefined”)
scriptsList.push(‘src’: ‘https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js’, ‘attrs’: ‘id’:id, ‘async’: true);