Have you ever tried avocado pancakes before? If not, they’ll surely win you over with their fluffy, moist goodness! Not to mention, avocados pack a punch when it comes to nutrients and healthy fats.
If you’re ready to try this unique spin on a traditional breakfast dish, read on for the recipe below!
How to Make Fluffy Avocado Pancakes from Scratch
Here is how you can serve up these delicious avocado pancakes.
Supplies you’ll need:
- Large bowl
- Chef’s knife
- Immersion blender
- Electric or hand whisk
- Pancake griddle or pan
Ingredients for pancakes:
- One ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups oat flour
- 2 cups plant milk (whichever you prefer)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Directions for avocado pancakes:
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. (Pro tip: your knife can do this easily. Hold the knife about eight inches above the pit and whack it with the knife, keeping your hands clear. The blade embeds in the pit; simply twist the knife to remove it).
- Next, scoop the fruit out of the skins, place them in the mixing bowl, and use a hand mixer or immersion blender to blend.
- Once they’re smooth and creamy, add the maple syrup and baking powder.
- Now pour the salt, oat flour, and plant milk into the mixture.
- Use an electric or hand whisk to mix all the ingredients.
- Once they’re thoroughly combined, add the lemon juice and whisk the mixture thoroughly.
Ingredients for topping:
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup Maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Shaved chocolate
- Crushed hazelnuts
Directions for making the topping:
- Place the Greek yogurt into a bowl. Next, add the maple syrup, vanilla, ground nutmeg, and cloves.
- Mix all the ingredients with a small spoon. After they’re thoroughly combined, set aside for now.
Time to Cook the Pancakes!
After all the prep, it’s time to get to the good stuff. First, put a dab of butter or oil into the pan. Grab a ladle and spoon the pancake batter onto the griddle or pan. Use the spoon to flatten and form it into a circle—Cook for a few minutes on each side. Depending on the size of your pan or skillet, you could make multiple pancakes at once to save time.
Cook however many you’d like, then plate them and serve. Pour the Greek yogurt mixture on top for an extra treat. Sprinkle shaved chocolate and crushed hazelnuts for the final addition to this culinary masterpiece. Enjoy!
Tips for Making the Best Avocado Pancakes Ever
- If you’re cooking multiple pancakes, make sure not to crowd them. Leave a couple of inches between each one, so they don’t merge into a giant pancake!
- Make sure you have fresh baking powder. If it’s old or expired, you’ll wind up with flat, dense pancakes. We all want light, fluffy pancakes in our lives, so check the expiration date first!
- Blend the pancake batter thoroughly to avoid lumps or clumps. You may want to blend the dry ingredients first, then add the wet ones for best immersion.
- Invest in a pancake griddle. You can undoubtedly make avocado pancakes in a pan, but you’ll get more surface area with a grill. It’ll save you time and create the perfect golden pancakes you’re looking for.
- Clean the skillet or griddle between batches. If you don’t, you’ll have built-up butter or oil residue, which will start to burn. Wipe the skillet with a paper towel and add more butter between batches.
- Don’t overcook your pancakes. This seems like a no-brainer, but it’s very easy to scorch such a delicate food. Turn them over when they’re starting to get dry around the edges, and you see bubbles on the raw side.
- If you’re using coconut milk, opt for the refrigerated kind – it’s not as thick as the canned milk.
Avocado Nutrition Facts
Some people might think of pancakes as a dessert, but you can easily make them healthy. Not to mention, if you’re following a specific diet, you can customize them with sugar-free, low-carb options. No matter what dietary preferences you have, avocados provide plenty of vitamins and minerals. Let’s talk about the plentiful health benefits of this superfood.
A 100-gram serving of avocados contains the following nutrients:
- Vitamin K: 26% of the daily value (DV)
- Folate: 20% of the DV
- Vitamin C: 17% of the DV
- Vitamin B5: 14% of the DV
- Potassium: 14% of the DV
- Vitamin B6: 13% of the DV
- Vitamin E: 10% of the DV
- 15 grams of healthy fats
- It also contains trace amounts of magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, zinc, phosphorous, and vitamins A, B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), and B3 (niacin).
Avocados are one of the best sources of heart-healthy fats in the world. Most of the fat in avocados is oleic acid, also found in olive oil. This monounsaturated fatty acid can reduce inflammation and possibly lower cancer risk, according to studies. Another benefit of these healthy fats is that they don’t oxidize under high heat. That’s great news for making avocado pancakes!
Finally, avocados contain a fair amount of soluble fiber – about 7 grams, or 27% of your RDA. Soluble fiber feeds beneficial gut bacteria and keeps you satiated for more extended periods. A high-fiber diet reduces the risk of many diseases and also keeps blood sugar in check.
Final Thoughts on Making Fluffy Avocado Pancakes That Will Melt in Your Mouth
You may not think of avocado pancakes as a healthy food, but they have many essential nutrients. These pancakes contain all-natural ingredients such as avocados, Greek yogurt, and plant-based milk, so you can feel good about eating them! Not to mention, the fresh spices and nuts for the topping add plenty of flavor to this popular breakfast food.
If you’ve wanted to branch out and try new breakfast recipes, we hope you’ll try this one! With Christmas coming up, these green avocado pancakes make the perfect festive meal to surprise your whole family with.
The post How to Make Fluffy Avocado Pancakes from Scratch appeared first on Power of Positivity: Positive Thinking & Attitude.